Wednesday, May 5, 2010

More Info Please

How many times have you inquired about a job and received all the information (if any) but what you asked for? (Seriously! Take a moment to think about that.) Okay. Now that that's out of the way, I have two stories I'd like to share with you on that topic.

Story 1: Fashion Show Conflict

I was contacted with the request to participate in a fashion show on a certain date. I had been waiting on a confirmation for a booking that same day but I would loved to participate in both and I didn't want to turn down one opportunity just because I was waiting for another. With the request being as vague as would you like to participate in a fashion show, I requested the details and when would be the latest I could confirm my appearance or not and the only information I received in return was the last day for me to confirm.

Okay, now seriously what about the other details like location, time, fitting (if one), etc. I guessed that meant nothing. Now I know that I am not the best model and I haven't even begun to accomplish anything close to what I intend, but when I ask questions I don't intend on them being blown off because I don't fit some sort of standard. When you are trying to produce a show or any other project and you are looking for people you need to be able to offer as much information as you have and if you don't have any additional information then state that or that the process is in finalization and you'll have more information later. So I waited a few days just to see if the person would reply with more information and he didn't. So I requested more information again asking for time and location. This time I only received the location, but not the time.

My question: What's the problem with giving all of the information? (Someone let me know. So at least I'll have a better understanding. I don't want to be left in the dark.)


Story 2: Magazine Shoot

There was this person that asked me to be in a magazine well over a year ago and I thought hey that will look good on my resume' so I asked about the details of the shoot. I was informed that a test shoot would take place in another state and IF they liked me then they'd call me back to be in the magazine. That was a nice little gig for a local model but a complete waste of time for me. I've never heard of the magazine and nothing on his social network mentioned anything about the title given to me and when I googled I found no results. I understand that it was a new magazine, but there was no buzz created for it and it really seemed not to make much sense to look for models for a starter magazine states away from where you are located when I am absolutely, positively sure that there are plenty of models looking for a chance to get published or some sort of exposure in the same area where he was located.

So I replied that I appreciated the offer but I was really too far away for that project. That's when he remembered oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that we pay for your hotel stay that night. Okay that's fine, but I still have to travel and still the fact that you were paying for the hotel is something that should have been mentioned in the original offer. How do you suddenly forget something like that? By then, I was already thinking okay, there not organized and I already told them i couldn't do it anyway so we're good. They'll find someone local and they'll get to enjoy this opportunity and maybe later if I'm already in that area, I'll get the chance to try it out, but now it's just not beneficial. I'll lose more than I gain.

Then at the end of 2009, I got a request from a photographer wishing to shoot me for a calendar and magazine and they inquired about my acting and dancing. I wasn't quite sure about what the acting or dancing had to do with the calendar or magazine, but I was listening and then it turned into being the same offer from above just from a different social site using a different name which wasn't hard to pick up on since they spelled swimsuit incorrectly (just like the time before) and offered the same test shoot but this time they hadn't forgot to mention the hotel pay. This still wasn't a good enough deal for me travel to another state. This was a good opportunity for someone local or nearby but for me it was a little too ridiculous. This is not to say that someone shouldn't take it, this is just my view. Then even after all that time had passed and now on two separate social sites there still had not been any updates or mentions of the magazine and it seemed like by now someone should have accepted and they should have at least had one issue available for preview if nothing else. That obviously wasn't the case.

So here we go again in March 2010, I get contacted about this magazine shoot again from the original social networking site with the same typos, same offer, and no progress of the magazine. So they ask about my acting and dance skills again. This time I ask where does that fit in and they tell me for music videos and commercials. Okay... In fact, let me show you one of the messages I sent prior to that:

I am great. Thanks for asking. How about yourself?
Also thanks for the compliments. I've done some of both in the past. (reference to acting/dancing)
Where does the acting and dancing come in?
Is this a print or on-line magazine?
Do you have any current issues or are you just starting?
Just seeking as much information as possible.

The reply I received was about wearing this swimming suit AGAIN, what days I could shoot, and an inquiry about my phone number and availability. It also included a link to a sample of work he'd done for a major publication (in which name I won't disclose but I'll refer to as TYPE A). So why didn't that answer any of my questions at all? Not one question I asked was answered. I did check out that link though and I let him know that my questions weren't answered and that's when the music video came into place and he referred to that link as an example of that work stating that his magazine was under TYPE B. Okay so why dies your link take me to TYPE A's website? Two rival magazines aren't about to combine. So which one is your mag under? Now that didn't make much since to me nor I believe it because the title he had given me was nowhere to be found on that site and that was simply a section on TYPE A's website where upcoming talent could be featured AND it even provided the information where you could submit yourself if interested.

Now here's where I get to the part about I'm not saying other people shouldn't do it. I'm still not directly saying that you shouldn't do it. Now I'm just not encouraging anyone to do it because his story is so all over the place, I'm not sure how he believed himself.

Earlier today, I saw that they posted a general casting looking for models for the magazine, model of the week features, commercials, and video shoots. Almost half of the girls the were interested requested more information and only about one percent of people that viewed the casting actually responded. So maybe they have a new approach now.

Lesson learned: Provide as much information as possible and don't try to be shady. There's nothing wrong with keeping certain information private until you've chosen the specific person you want but share the necessary information to keep a good rapport and insure trust from individuals you wish to work with.

Until next time,
Supermodel Dominique

No comments: