Thursday, May 6, 2010

Model Mannequin

There's nothing like seeing a fake model. This model will appear to be human, but when you look good enough, you'll see plastic. This model will more than likely represent the stereotypes of a general model. This model will have accomplished something but nothing anywhere near what that model believes to have accomplished. But their attitude will definitely state otherwise. I'm sure you've all met one before, whether you've paid much attention to it or not. This model is a human mannequin.

I met one a couple of years ago at a meeting. During the discussion, this model appeared to have known everything about what was being said as if they wrote the book about it and commented on everything even when not directed their way. A couple of 'I told you so's later, this model got the spotlight they desperately wanted and got to show off their little notes. This was hilarious to me because looking around the room, I saw far more greater potential that just needed the right promotion to get seen and some who had actually accomplished more but this mannequin was highlighted as the go to person and everyone seemed to pay avid attention. That was probably because they believed the front that was being put on or underneath they honestly didn't care because they knew they were better. Either way, those models sat silently and took the negative comments like it was going to better them at the end of the day. I called them negative comments because of the way they were given. There's a difference between negative comments and constructive criticism (none of which I saw that night). But back on topic. At the conclusion of this meeting, all models scattered but the mannequin. This model took extra strolls just to be seen and you could see it in the body language and facial expressions. Plus this model would make an effort not to speak to the 'lower class' models that they would obviously be educating.

I later got the honor of meeting this model again at another event and I spoke as soon as I came in. Everyone spoke back but this model ( approximately 2 feet away). The mannequin turned away as if she had never seen me enter. So after I hugged the few people I did know I moved on and well over an hour passed when this model reaches out with this fake happy expression and says, " oh, hey, girl! I didn't know that was you. I didn't even recognize you at first. I thought that was you, but I wasn't sure. " I replied, "yeah, it's me," and turned back around.

Are you kidding? This room couldn't have been more than a 20x20 at the most. You were standing at the entrance 2 feet away when I arrived and you've walked right pass me several times. And even so, what did that have to do with speaking back? So you're admitting to only being polite on film? Really. I don't have time. I don't need to be bothered with people who don't want to be bothered with me. That'll only cause us to get on each other's nerves.

Months before either of those events, that same model came speaking to me very estatic about how she was a model and glad to be and I was thinking to myself who is this girl. Whatever. That's not important. So I spoke back and that was the last time she spoke to until "oh, hey, girl!" (Laughs) What was that all about?

No comments: