Wednesday, May 5, 2010

All Work and No Pay

This blog will be about... Well, really it's just an interesting topic and I can't really decide what the main point is since there are so many pieces involved, but I do hope that you enjoy it and share your thoughts about the situation. The title is interesting so what do you think this will be about?

There's a casting looking for runway quality models for an upcoming fashion show. The submission process was pretty simple. It asked for a little information about the models such as contact information, measurements, etc. But it did not request photos which was kind of strange.
So I submitted the requested information and included a link to some photos in case they changed their minds or got crazy and thought they requested photos and I just didn't submit properly.

Later, I received a response stating the photos weren't good enough to be submitted for an audition. I needed a different headshot with my head turned the way they wanted and more photos that showed my figure along with more photos that showed me from head to toe.

Originally, I looked at the email and knew exactly what photos to send that would showcase the quality that this company was seeking. Then, in less than 60 seconds, I realized a laundry list of things that were wrong with this whole situation.

  • The casting did NOT ask for photos. So how could there have been a protocol for what photos could and would suffice?
  • Audition? The casting said nothing about an actual audition. So now I have to submit a certain type of photo just to be consideration for an audition? Not the actual show. The audition.
  • What do you mean the photos don't clearly show my figure? There's a photo in my port with my stomach out against a white background. Are you blind? (laughing at myself)
  • Basically, you just don't like the close-up image of my face because there's no way it was hiding in the shadows. How much more of it do you want to see?
  • You need a full length photo as well. (Understandable. I'm re-arranging my portfolio currently so they have been taken down.) But you're good if you're going to determine my height through the photo. I've seen several models that are tall (only on paper).
  • The photos weren't good enough to send in. Where are you sending them. You mentioned nothing about sending them anywhere.
  • Wait, really! You're asking me to basically re-submit in totality. Come in for an audition (if I am chosen) to see if I get chosen. Oh, gee! Great! I'm so glad to do all of this for a non-paying gig. Umm...
Why was all of that information left out of the casting?
If there are going to be auditions, why so many specifics about the photos? It's not like you're saving the models anytime since they are coming in for a chance to get sent home anyway. This is what this story sounds like to me:

A man walks up to another and notices he has run out of gas. The man just happens to have a full gas can in the back of his truck. He gets out to give the man a hand.

"Hey, I have some gas I can spare. It's not much, but it'll last you a couple of miles."
"Thanks, man. But is it 93? I never put cheap gas in my car. This gas came from BP, right? I don't mess with nothing cheap. You got the receipt to prove where you got your gas? As a matter of fact, how about you take me to the BP by my house. It's about 30 minutes away and I'll get the gas myself and bring it back. You ain't doing nothing no way. Oh yeah and I don't give tips either, so don't expect one."

Now I know that was a little over the top (laughing), but I wanted you to see what I saw and I felt like I had to paint a picture there. Don't get me wrong. I'm not upset. I understand that companies want what they want, but that all falls into my theory of providing accurate information. In this case specifically, maybe a proofread and a little more detail could have helped this. Leaving out info and throwing in behind the scenes auditions doesn't make the casting anymore special or exclusive. In fact, it could make the offer shady. Though I don't get that vibe here. I'm also not being lazy. I work hard. Well actually, I work smart when it comes to something I need to get done because I want to make a good impression, not just a memorable one. But, in my opinion when you aren't paying someone, you don't ask the, to build the bridge and walk across like you've created some convenience store for both parties. This doesn't mean don't do your best if you aren't getting paid either. This was just my funny take on how someone had a whole list of requirements for something that offered and not asked for.

So did I re-submit? Hmm...

As for me? I need to step my game up. So who wants to work with me?

Supermodel Dominique

No comments: